Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Yoga "Goddess Pose" Mystery

As you know if you've been reading this blog, I started doing yoga at Yaletown Yoga. I've been doing "Power Yoga" and "Hot Yoga". I've noticed a few difference between the yoga I used to do at Samadhi in Seattle and the yoga at Yaletown. Some of the difference are nomenclature and some are operational differences. The heat at Yaletown is obviously one big difference.

One difference has been extra strange to me. What we call alternatively the "Exalted Warrior" or "Reverse Warrior" at Samadhi is not called that at Yaletown Yoga. Rather, they call it the "Goddess Pose". So I decided to google the terms and see if I could determine if there is any difference between these, and if not, what communities use each term with what frequency.

There seems to be a lot of support for calling the pose "Exalted Warrior" and "Reverse Warrior", but I was completely unable to find any google evidence of that pose being called "Goddess Pose". Maybe I just didn't look hard enough? Rather, I did find that "Goddess Pose" is an actual term for what we called "Supta Baddha Konasana". There is a lot of googly evidence for this translation.

So what's up with Yaletown Yoga's nomenclature? Is it a Vancouver thing? Or a Yaletown thing? Or a British Columbia thing? I'll have to dig deeper into this mystery.

3 comments:

painting said...

The latter comments are from first hand experience at the mentioned studios YAletown Studio- Hatha WAtha hot YOYO AKA Yaletown YOGA

HEh HEH aBOO BOO!-Yogi bear Circa??

in response to your note Yoga Goddess at Yaletown Yoga AKA. YY

Out of respect my Humble Hombre 'Geordi' invited me to the studio and was humiliated by your behaviours!!,,
YY= Yaletown Yoga
YY is a place of make believe where all our fuzzy little unicorns can nibble our cheecks :)


hI MARK, Yes sir, thank you for summing it up and doing your dillegince on what I call our home and native superstitions..

As you know from your abroad travels US CanUUCKS spend alot of time brooding in our homes, across the country, storing the equivelant body fat per capita of Texas all the while dreaming of brighter days were we can sport our muck lucks in the sun??,

by the way Texas BBoys are the dopest on this side of the hemisphere...HaviKoro... marlon Lil John, comin up ol school..

My experience with Yaletown Yoga is mad wack.. The fattest ass instructor yelling at me in a "free class""no charge""KARMA yoga" to do more down ward Dogg...and by yelling I mean just that his hairy spotty beard in his short tight very not flatteric pants OUCH the dude looked like he was a Collegge Rocker into meth emphedamines with too much T cromosones.. Now depressed he has switched his diet to cheesburgers and milkshakes(too cliche?? well its true MF)


Since I was A young chap I dreamed of BBoying and have since spinned off 1/4 of my hair ,trained with some of the illest.. my story is this.. YALETOWN YOGA is a sham.. the rooms are heated beyond recognition of actual temperature, it is so hot that you cannot peel your soaked ass underwear off after class to group shower with all your homeboys...
IT isWHERE WATER AND AIR BecomeONE

BY DONAtION YOGA Is free if you broke its called KARMA, Booo YAA, please dont ask for money 3 - 4 times a class while asking me to do downward DOG again? Since ive been dancing for ten years I may just know a bit about stretching and Know i dont wont to do more downward dog, where is the dynamics YY?

I dontwant to have a group shower with the West END boys after, Hi YA Cheque is in $5 cash money pimpin the MALE and next time I WILL not keep my voice down, its not a library its Gay Free Yoga and YOU YY been sleepin way too LONG, turn off the heat BoyZZZ and come outside to play.............

Yours Truly,
YY is a BUMMMMMMMEEERRRR

painting said...

I was too humble to complain :( WTF!!

Thankk you Mark and your Blogger its been bottled up for way too long, EH?

painting said...

Nomenclature refers to a set or system of names or terms, as those used in a particular science or art, used by an individual or community


AHH the words "BEAUTIFUL" BRITISH COLUMBIA?? It is written on all of our licsence plates

Thats wats up Mark PC OUT