Thursday, January 10, 2008

Telephone Problems II

So, I left off yesterday frustrated. Today, I had to run an errand at 39th & Cambie, so since I was in the car anyway, I decided to visit my old neighborhood and see if I could get a cheap AC adapter at PC Galore on 4th Avenue. PC Galore is an odd place. It is a computer consignment store that uses the Dutch auction technique. They take computer equipment that you want to get rid of and start off with a high price. Then they drop the price over time until the item sells. I don't know what happens when it gets to $0. Anyway, I figured they'd have a box of AC adapters. Sure enough. I asked for an AC adapter and out came a box with about 20 various shapes and sizes of 12VDC adapters. I picked one out and asked how much. $10. OK, I wished it were $5, but I can can deal with $10. I took it home and plugged it in. It didn't work. Dammit!

So I went back--this time with my little Vonage unit. I was going to make sure the LED turned on this time. We dug through the box again and found another one. The LED turned on! Yay!!!

I came home and plugged it in. Once the Ethernet cable was plugged in, the connection to the Vonage network was soon established. I plugged in my ugly green phone and picked up the receiver. There was a dial tone! So I made all my necessary phone calls.

I canceled my cable, finally. Then I called a place for my bon voyage party. Then called my parents. Finally, I made an appointment at the travel clinic to get all my painful and expensive shots so I don't die of some African disease. I'll post about that on Monday when I return from the clinic.

No comments: