Sunday, January 6, 2008

Elena, the Socialite

A typical day in Seattle for me included only talking to people to order food, specify the material of my grocery bags, and....well not much else really. I'm a man of few words and I didn't know many people on Capitol Hill.

Now I'm living with my traveling companion, Elena. She is always making plans to meet people, to do stuff, to have dinner or coffee, or go shopping, etc. So last night we went over to Steve's place for potluck dinner (of us in all--each a traveler). Steve was one of my traveling companions in Eastern Europe. The evening before, it was dinner at Saltaire with Barbara. Tonight it is dinner with Cecilia. I've never been so busy.

I'm curious how things will go once I'm in Africa. When I lived in Japan, I could go out to a local bar by myself, and I always knew something interesting would happen. It's part of the novelty of being white in a land without many white people. That will happen in Africa. I'm not outgoing and gregarious, but I am open to new experiences when I'm out unwinding with a beer. Well, off to Cecilia's place...

No comments: