Thursday, January 24, 2008

Democrats Abroad

It seems that there is an organization called Democrats Abroad that will aid those of us who are abroad and would still like to vote. I looked into joining, but you have to choose a country and then you have to be approved by the local branch in that country. Well, I'm in Canada right now, but at the time of the election, who knows where I'll be? If Obama is the nominee, I'll certainly try to be in Kenya to watch their reaction to a native son running for the White House. On the more likely event that it's Hillary, I'll be anywhere. Who knows where. Ethiopia? Kenya? Still stuck in Cameroon? Maybe traipsing around a place I'm not even considering right now (after all, I might meet a woman during my travels--in Seattle I'm just another plain, boring software developer, but in Africa, I'll be a courageous, fascinating adventurer).

I would like to vote, not because I think my vote will affect the Presidential race (if a Republican wins WA, they won anyway), Senatorial race (after Murray and Cantwell, this is our year off), or the House race (Capitol Hill will never elect an elephant--and McDermott will run again), but because my vote could affect the governor's race. In the last election against Dino Rossi, Christine Gregoire won after a couple of recounts, starting from behind, by a mere 129 votes. It looks like Rossi wants to run again and I hope Gregoire wants to run again. So my vote might count in that. The thing I need to figure out is how to join Democrats Abroad when I'm traveling through multiple countries with only a vague idea of an itinerary.

No comments: