Friday, January 18, 2008

Cooking at Home

I decided to try some cooking at home for lunch. Since I left my job, I have tried cooking at home and seeing how much I can save over eating out. The fact is, that I'm not sure I can save much at all. My daily grocery bill was usually about the same as a meal out. The portion of the meal I ate that day was a small part of the food I bought, but then I was also using stuff I had purchased before. So in the end, it wasn't quite a wash, but nowhere near the savings that people claim it to be--provided you eat with a little care when eating out.

Anyway, I decided to make a chorizo sandwich. I fried up a $2 chorizo sausage, toasted a $.90 bun, spread about $.50 worth of chevre on the toasted bun, and added about $.50 worth of roasted pepper. OK, that's only $4. My time is basically free (given my current state). There was a bit of electricity, dish soap, and water. So I saved about a dollar. Worth it? I'm not sure. If I eat out, I get to some people watching and support businesses that need customers. The business I supported today was IGA. Then I have the risk of spoilage. What if I don't get to all the food I bought today? I bought 3 types of cheeses so I can have a variety over the next couple of weeks. That has to be taken into account. The advantage to being at home is that I get to watch French TV (RDI). I don't understand much, but it's good to get some ear time--even though a lot of it is Quebec French. And it's fun to try read the news-ticker along the bottom to see if I can keep up.

At least I can say that my chorizo sandwich was really really good. Chevre and chorizo go together like TVs and couches. I just wish I had a more appropriate wine to go with it than my last glass of boxed Peller Estates Chardonnay (time to buy a new box--as well some beer to go with the Packers vs. Giants).

No comments: