Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008

2008 has arrived! It is officially my year of travel. Last night Elena had her meetup.com hiking group New Year's Eve party. There were about 100 hikers there having a good time. There was Garland who also took some time off and plans to travel, Darrell who recently came back from a year of travel. Joanna and Dan weren't there because they are still on their year of travel. It's nice to know that what I'm doing isn't strange. There seems to be a bug that bites people at about this age in Vancouver that makes them want to take some time off and see the world. Maybe it is a product of prosperity and the security it provides. Back in the days when you worked for one company and retired with a pension, you couldn't really just take off. But now, we change employers and control our own 401k's. Today our skills--not our employers--are the guarantors of our futures. So if we want to take a year off and see the world--we can. And for me, the year of doing it has arrived.


Also on the plus side, I'm entering 2008 healthy. My cold is over. My sniffles are almost over--just the residual sniffles. I haven't coughed since 2007. :)

No comments: