Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Murder in My Seattle Neighborhood

Last night there was a stabbing murder of a 31 year old woman in my old neighborhood of Capitol Hill. It was at an intersection I don't go to often, but I cross it sometimes--usually when going to Madison Market, the very store she was returning from when she was attacked. I'm about to go off the the Dark Continent (with election violence in Kenya, genocide in Darfur, and chaos in other countries), so I am taking on a bit of additional risk in exchange for adventure, but events like this drive home that even people living normal lives in my wonderful neighborhood are at some risk. Capitol Hill does have more than a few people who are mentally ill. As a result of this event and the blogging around it I learned the name of one particularly annoying ill guy who has problems shouting obscenities at the top of his lungs. This guy was half a block behind me one day shouting about being used for sex or something. I crossed the street because, to an observer, it would look like he was talking to me. He just continued with his raving looking straight ahead even though there wasn't really anyone anymore.

The news at this point make it look like a random killing by a mentally ill person. That is scary. Random killings are random. Since I'm not into drugs, gambling, cheating with married women, etc, I have to reason to fear a targeted killing, but random? Could happen to me. It's such a tragic way to bring in 2008 on Capitol Hill.

No comments: