Monday, July 7, 2008

Books And Reading

I finished Generation X in French a while ago, so now Elena is reading it. I read a bit more of La Route, but my progress is good, so I decided to pick up another book. I chose "La sorcière de Portobello" by Paulo Coehlo. I had read l'Alchimiste so I knew that he uses vocabulary and sentence structure that I can handle. It turned out to be good buy. I can actually read it. I feel so smart. :-) I don't even need the English version to check my comprehension. I understand over 95% of it. Our satellite TV has precious little in English so I see a lot o stuff with French subtitles and I understand them pretty well, too. I can usually even keep up. Actually, they even subtitle stuff from Quebec like a show called "Ma series en Canada" and a pretty funny one called "Un gars et une fille". Elena is like the fille in that show, though she denies it. She also has something in common with the women in La Sorcière de Portobello--she is a strong-willed and occasionally difficult woman from the same country. ;-)

No comments: