Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Blogger Time Zone Fun

There are 2 ways the timestamp feature could work on a blog. The first is that it sets a timestamp based on "universal time" and the second is that is sets the time based on "local time". When I'm here traveling in Africa, I don't really want the timestamp to show what time it was for the reader when something happened--I want it to show my local time. So if I post something at 2 am in Dakar, ideally it would say 2 am no matter where the reader is. This is in contrast to my usual tendency to want to know when something was posted in universal time. So if Joshua Micah Marshall posts something, I want to know what time he posted in my time.

The problem is that up until now I have been manually setting timestamps as if the blog were in Seattle. From now on, I'm going to post in local time and try to add the local time to the end of each post for reference. Also for the first time since in France, my computer displays the right time. :-)

23/7/2008 8:32 am Dakar local time

No comments: