Thursday, June 12, 2008

Wake Up In Morocco

Last night shortly after we arrived, what I assume was a muezzin started calling everyone to prayer. Then this morning, I woke up to a muezzin.

The bathroom doesn't have soap, so we didn't shower last night. Elena woke up and tried to use the WiFi, but it is very weak in our room and there was no connection in the morning. The morning air, like the night air, at the Continental has a vague smell of dead fish, and the view over the port is more utilitarian than charming. Sure, there's water, but it's a port protected by armed guards with all the port stuff you normally find in ports.

The hotel has definitely seen better days. We wandered down for breakfast and to get better WiFi connection. The hotel has all sorts of neat rooms and passages and nooks and crannies. I'm sure it was very charming in its heyday. We met a woman from Texas and asked her a few questions. You don't haggle on hotel prices so our 552 dh price is the actual price. At 7.4 dh to the US dollar that's US$75. Elena will pay in Euros and we'll go into town to get dirhams and find a cheaper place to stay.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Breakfast was nice for me, but a nightmare for Elena I'm sure. She didn't say anything, but she's not a big bread eater and our breakfast consisted of a chocolate bread, sweet roll, wheat bun, and croissant. Coffee, of course. And a cream cheese, jam, and butter packet. I ate all mine. We started inside, then went outside to enjoy the sun, then inside again to escape the sun.

So apparently, 10% is the tipping rate in Morocco. And it seems there is a fair amount of stuff to do here in Tangier. So I think we should exhaust Tangier before moving on. We'll see what Elena wants to do. I think she and I are going to have to work a little bit to find the happy medium between my willingness to stay in US$4 places and Elena's desire for rooms with bathroom.

This morning we will explore the medina, find a cheaper hotel, and see Tangier. I hope Elena starts to warm up to Tangier. I want her to enjoy her time here. Our start wasn't auspicious, but I think she'll come to enjoy our time. At least, we'll have some really good stories for our friends in Vancouver.

No comments: