Friday, June 6, 2008

Colissimo & La Poste

Ugh!!! What is it with La Poste? Elena and I have to reduce our loads. Especially Elena. So today was our day to go to the post office and send any excess stuff. This morning I got up and headed over to the post office. They have a ssytem called Colissimo. You can buy prepaid boxes in 4 different sizes. The biggest box is slightly larger than a box of 6 bottles of wine and can ship a maximum of 7 kilograms. For the USA, it is €39,50. In my broken French with almost no listening comprehension, I asked the woman if I could bring a box and send it by boat. She said I could, but that I was limited to 5 kilograms. I understood that it would cost €13,75 and take 2 months. So I happily went out and prepared to tell Elena.

We got some boxes at the Simply grocery store and got some tape next door at Office Depot. Then we packed the boxes. I was very uneasy because I didn't know if the box would be less than 5kg. Elena packed up a box for to send to her parents, as well.

Then we headed over to the post office. The guy weighed my box--4.475 kg. Whew! Elena's was only 3.5 kg. But then came the bad news--it wasn't going to be €14, but €38,50 for mine and €24 for Elena's. I should have just done the Colissimo box. Dammit!!! Oh well. Now we know. When we ship my computer from Seville, if Spain's postal system has something like Colissimo, I'm just going to use it. So the lesson for today is, when in France, just use the prepaid Colissimo boxes.

BTW, note to parents--expect a box in a few weeks.

No comments: