Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Packing For EasyJet

We had to pack. The problem is the flight from Paris to Madrid. We got tickets on EasyJet--one of those super cheap budget airlines that saves money by every means possible including by not maintaining the planes. Just kidding on the last part. ;-) Anyway, they have a strict limit of 20kg per person. You need to pay €15 per checked bag, but no matter how many bags you check in, you still only get 20kg. If you want more than 20kg, you need to pay--a lot. The other limit is one carry on bag. My backpack was full--to the limit of what it would carry. I had everything in there, but I was also leaving behind quite a bit--my jeans, a few heavy cotton shirts, my belt, a pair of old leather shoes. Anything I could get rid of.

We didn't have a scale, so we had to try to guess at the weight. I had carried the box to La Poste that weight 4.5 kg. It was heavy, but not super heavy. So I packed my backpack and lifted it and tried to guess how many of those it was equivalent to. My backpack was heavy. Super heavy. It had books, clothes, shoes, and all sorts of other stuff. What would I have to sacrifice? How much of a penalty would I we willing to pay? How to balance that? I lifted Elena's bag. It was pretty damn heavy too. We had a liter of milk--that weighs 1 kg. I held it feeling it's weight. Then I remembered something I learned--women's weight and the comfort of temperatures line up pretty well in metric. That is, 50-60 is too little, 60-70 is about right, and 70-80 is too much (I'm partial toward cool weather and curvy women.). So 20 kg is about 1/3 of a cute woman. I lifted it and I couldn't imagine lifting 3 or 4 of the same back pack. Dammit! I was going to have problems. Well, we'll see what happens.

We headed to the airport and hauled our luggage. In line we saw that lots of people had a whole lot more luggage than we had. Wow! Those people were in for a shock, I thought. The line to the counter moved fast. Finaly we were next. We handed the guy our passport. I popped my bag on the scale and watched the LEDs. 11.5 kg. What? 11.5?! Am I that weak? Elena's weighted in at 14 kg. So now I know, when flying EasyJet, I can take a lot with me.

No comments: