Sunday, June 1, 2008

First Day In Paris

The first day, we woke up. Elena mad some coffee. I'm not sure if she used the coffee machine. The carafe has a crack in it. It seems to hold water right now, but I'm not sure if it can withstand too many heating/cooling cycles. I went out for a bit to let Elena have some time to get ready. I found an internet cafe but it wasn't open. Then I found, entirely by accident, the Moulin Rouge. It is just around the corner from where we live. We are also very close to the Presidential Palace Elysee where Carla Bruni lives. So we are close to everything. In each direction, as I walk along the street, we seem to go over something empty. To the SW, it looks a river is coming up, but it is actually the switch yard for Saint-Lazare station. To the NE, there is a huge cemetery.

We started walking South along the rue Amsterdam. We came to the Madeliene church which sort of like the Parthenon. There was a mass going on inside, so we couldn't wander around. Then we went by some obelisk. I had Elena take a picture of me with the obelisk coming out of my head. We went into the Jardin de Tuileres?? SOmething like that. I spotted a Richard Serra work right away. There is one in Seattle now and there is a cool room called the Fish Room full of his walls in the Bilbao Guggenheim. Also, speaking of the Biblao Guggenheim, there is one of those spider things like by the river by the Guggenheim.

We walked through the garden and came to the Louvre. We crossed the water and went down to the Jardin de Luxembourg. Then we backtracked to Odéon and metro'd home. Elena had a needed and well deserved nap, and I went out to see if I could connect at the au Petit Poucet.

No comments: