Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Last Night In Paris

For our last night in Paris, we were planning to meet Malika and Philippe. Since we were lacking in internet connectivity, we just told Malika to arrange with Philippe. Elena wanted to walk to Philippe's place but she also had a big bag to carry there and I wasn't so keen on another waking trip by Carla's place. (She evidently doesn't want to meet me. I guess she doesn't think I offer the BBD.) So I let Elena go at 5:30 to meet at 7:00 at Philippe's place in the 15e (French for 15th). I left at the right time to arrive at Philippe's place at exactly 7:00. Even in Europe my timing can be impeccable. I figured there was a 50/50 chance that Elena would be there. She left with 10 mintes to spare, but when (note I didn't say 'if') she got lost she would lose some time. I rang. I rang again. I rang one more time. Either she got lost and he wasn't home, or their relationship isn't as platonic as I thought. I waited a few minutes, and there was Philippe coming home from work. Then about 30 seconds after him, Elena. She got lost about where I thought she would. ;-)

We got the call from Malika. We would meet in the 20e. A bit far by subway. We did 2 transfers but when we got there, we were happy we made the effort. It turns out she wanted to meet us in the cool and trendy part of Paris--a sort of Capitol Hill like in Seattle. Or Yaletown in Vancouver. The buildings were still old, but filled with funky places. The place she wanted to take us was booked for a private party. So we walked along the longest street in Paris, Ménilmotant. We took a turn and finally decided on Moroccan cuisine at a place called l'Homme Bleu. I saw a think on TV back in Seattle or Vancouver, so I knew what l'Homme Bleu refers to. It is the French name for the Tuareg--a race of nomadic traders in Mauritania, Algeria, Mali, and such desert places. They wear protective cloth that is dyed blue and because they wear it so often, the dye gets into their skin and turns them blue. Thus l'Homme Blue or the Blue Men.

We entered and went down a very narrow spiral staircase to the cellar of the restaurant. We got a spicy eggplant dish and then we all got Tajines. Everyone else got a savory one, but I got a sweet one with figs, cinnamon, orange, and lamb. We also got 2 bottles of Moroccan wine. It was good and fun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then we headed off to find a place for a late night drink. We found a place still open a got a 50cl decanter of wine (Elena got a decaf coffee.) We drank it and chatted. Then it was time to say good night. We metro'd home and went to bed.

Photobucket

One last thing about the metro. The fold down seats by the door are called strapontins. Just a name that strikes me as funny.

No comments: