Monday, April 7, 2008

Quiz Night At Shakespeare Pub

I went to the Shakespeare Pub in Montpellier to leave Elena alone for a while. When I got there I realized it was Quiz Night. Normally Quiz Night is on a Tuesday, but sometimes Tuesday fields a much more important football game (and I thought football was only on Sunday, Monday night, and Thursday).

So I played along. I sucked bad. I had heard about Quiz Night but had never seen anything indicating what kind of questions there are. So to fix that, I will now go over the questions from the evening of May 7, 2008.

There are four rounds starting at about 9 (after the daily 7:00-8:30 happy hour where a 4,50 Classic John Bull becomes 3,20 euros). The rounds are about 20 minutes apart from each other--giving you ample time finish your beer and order more. The first round is a picture round where you try to identify 10 people. The next two rounds are questions rounds. Finally the last round is a music round where you try to identify the artist and name of ten songs. I think the music round counts double--10 for the artists and 10 for the song title.

So here were the 10 people:
  • Silvio Berlusconi
  • Aurthur C. Clarke
  • ? Crane
  • Dustin Hoffman
  • Natalie Portman
  • Janis Joplin
  • Indira Ghandi
  • Robbie Coltrane
  • Johnny Depp
  • John Wayne

Wow! I got 4--Berlusconi, Hoffman, Depp, and Wayne.

The first set of 10 trivia questions:
  1. What country in Africa was once known as South Rhodesia?
  2. King Zog was king of what country?
  3. Who was the first man in space?
  4. Which mammal lays eggs?
  5. Which superhero's real name is Dick Greyson?
  6. Who was Edward Teach better known as?
  7. In the 1988 Olympics, Ben Johnson was disqualified. Who got the gold as a result?
  8. If you have a beard, in what Olympic sport can you not participate?
  9. What is Donald F. Duck's middle name?
  10. What actors middle name means "a cool breeze over the mountains"?

Gee! In the end I only got 2. I'm so bad at trivia now. I knew I had recently heard "Edward Teach". I was right that I had heard it and I knew from where as soon as they said the answer. He was not Eddy the Eagle--my guess.

The second round of questioning went like this:
  1. The Han River flows through which capital city?
  2. Who was the last king of Iraq?
  3. In what year was the tunnel between England and France opened?
  4. What was the name of Napoleon's horse at Waterloo?
  5. Astana is the capital of what country?
  6. In what year was the first atomic bomb exploded?
  7. El Hajj Malik El Shabbaz is better known as?
  8. What was the job of lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth?
  9. How do you say "Good day" in Japanese?
  10. What boxer said "he can run, but he cannot hide"?

Gee! I only go three of these?

The music round came next. Ten songs. The only one I knew was Johnny B Good--Chubby Checker? I guessed "Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass Band for one song. Sad Sad. I left before they announced the results or the names of the songs.

Here is the answer key. What's the HTML tag for "upsidedown"?
1) Zimbabwe, 2) Albania, 3) Yuri G..something, 4) platypus, 5) Robin, 6) Blackbeard, 7) Carl Lewis, 8) Boxing, 9) Fontleroy, 10) Keanu Reaves
1) Seoul, 2) Faisal II, 3) 1994, 4) Marengo, 5) Khazakstan, 6) 1945, 7) Malcolm X, 8) Actor, 9) konnichiwa, 10) Joe Lewis.

So that was the Shakespeare Pub trivia night on Monday. Remember it's usually Tuesday, unless there's a soccer game. And happy hour is 19:00-20:30 by their clock.

No comments: