Friday, April 18, 2008

The Itch To Compute

I can barely remember the last time I even wrote a line of code. I have done a lot of thinking and some design of a suite of tools that I wish I had had when I was developing code. These are tools which don't exist and I don't know why they don't exist. I hope to be able to start making them. Right now, I really want to start. After months of doing to software, I want to develop--to turn ideas into useful reality.

In France, people don't take laptops into cafes. It's the polar opposite of Seattle where everybody takes laptops to cafes. And you can nurse a Grande drip far far longer than anything they serve in France in those itty-bitty 1,50 euro cups. So going to the local coffee shop to work on the computer while absorbing the atmosphere isn't really an option. The French already hate us. On the plus side, Americans are probably more scarce than ever thanks to the dollar being in free-fall. So maybe they'd look at me at my laptop in a cafe with curiosity rather than detestation. At any rate, I don't think I can take a laptop to a cafe without feeling like a total dork. And since I'm already very used to looking like a dork in public, that shows how much more I'd look like a dork in France with a laptop.

So, I'll keep thinking (in my head), keep designing (in my Moleskine), but I'm not sure when I'll be able to start putting it into code. Maybe in the meantime, somebody will introduce the tools I want and I won't have to try to create them.

No comments: