Thursday, April 10, 2008

La Plage Via VeloMagg Plus a Shopping Trip

Today Elena and I decided to head down to the sea by bicycle. We had wanted to go last Saturday, but the weather was perfect and when we got to the bicycle rental place, they bikes were all gone. Well, today was kind of crappy and it's a weekday.

We went to the main station VeloMagg which is the place where you rent the bikes. It costs 1 euro for 4 hours or 2 euros for the day. You need to give them a piece of ID. Fortunately, our driver's licenses worked even though, I'm sure the French have no way of distinguishing between a real one and a fake one. I'm just glad it didn't have to be my passport because I don't like having my passport in an unknown place. So we paid our 2 euros, learned how to operate the locks, and we one our way. Elena had her helmet (thanks for sending it, Mom) and I had only my rain hat (20% of rain, after all). We headed out.

The brakes of the rental bikes aren't so strong. They will slow you down gradually, but you won't be using these brakes for laying rubber. That aspect worried me a little bit. I like the security of brakes that can stop me quickly when I want to stop quickly. Oh well. C'est la vie. We headed toward Carnon, a resort town. We passed the Carrefour, then the Auchan, then a few other ^&@%@%# roundabouts (don't get me started on those roundabouts) and finally made it to Carnon. As it was a bit chilly and Thursday, the city was pretty dead. We biked around and finally made it to the beach. There wasn't much to do so we snapped a couple of pictures of ourselves and headed back. Carnon has plenty of condos as second homes where people can get a place to be near the beach. There are bars and restaurants a plenty--just not open yet. It looks like a nice place once the season is under way and the bars of full of fun loving patrons and the beaches are full of sun bathing girls. But now, it's a veritable wasteland. I'm sure there were people there on Saturday though. Somebody made it an event on onvasortir.com and got 420 people to sign up! Beat that meetup.com!

On the way back, we stopped at Carrefour and bought a bunch of stuff. We got 4 50cl Braubiers for 0,35 euros each and 2 Pelforth Brunes for 1,30 euros each! What a price difference! We also got some pickles, olives, croissants, grape bread, tomatoes, fruit tartelettes, 4 little rounds of chevre, and 2 wedges of Roquefort cheese. It was 20,36 euros. The best part is that with bikes, we could get it all back to our place without much effort. For a mere euro, you can rent a bike, go to Carrefour, shop, bike back, and have all the stuff you bought for the next few days.

Then we came home, returned the bikes, and had a wonderful snack with bread, cheese, wine, beer, pickles, and olives!

3 comments:

Gail said...

You need to post more pictures like Elan does. Her pictures are wonderful. You must 'turn up the heat' to keep us interested.

Gail said...

Oh, oh, keyboard left off the 'a' on Elena and typed the first part wrong. Sorry. Now I have to step up my game.

Mark said...

I'll try. We only have Elena's camera, so I'm not always able to get to it when I'm blogging. The last few posts about places have pictures though. :-)

And I'm starting my posts about things in Montpellier--murals, statues, historical markers, fountains, and other notable things. I just have to get the camera from Elena to get pictures of all them.