Saturday, April 19, 2008

Brazilian Night at La Pleine Lune

We went to see the Brazilian night at La Pleine Lune, a club not far from our humble abode (right on the Plaza Roger Salengro where we buy all our vegetables in the open air market). It was "pleine" all right. The dance floor looked like the subway in Tokyo station at rush hour. It's a very small venue, but it was so packed, it took me about 3 minutes to traverse the 10 meters to the exit from the back. I'm lucky I survived.

We got there early--about 9pm. I recently learned the term "demi" which is basically the normal sized glass of the house beer--the default beer when you ask for just a beer--something we never do in Seattle where all the drinking places have mostly craft beers. Anyway, I got a demi and Elena wanted a red wine. So 4 euros later we had our drinks and a small bowl of potato chips.

Then we watched as people started filing in. The place kept getting more and more crowded. Until the dance floor was just a mass of humanity. A sardine tin of bodies wriggling to Brazilian rhythms. There must have been 200 people in a place that can seat--if all are seated--only about two dozen.

We went because it was organized on OnVaSortir.com, so we met a few of the people from that. Elena is still there as I type. Even in the USA, the music/dance thing isn't for me, so I made an early get-away. Bedtime for moi. But maybe I'll watch some new scenes of Pulp Fiction in French.

No comments: