Thursday, April 17, 2008

Back To The Alchemist (l'Achimiste)

Said who I know from the language exchanges has checked out a CD version of The Alchemist for me to listen to and the book for me to read.

So I have no listened to the first 4 minute track over and over--over 50 times at the moment. I can hear more than before, but even after 50 times, I can't hear it all unaided by the book. Each day, I hear more. I've also listened to the second track about 30 times. And I've listened to the first hour twice, following along with the text. There is a definite difference in my ability to catch the sounds in the first two tracks compared to the ones I haven't worked on.

I hope this will help. I'm learning to associate the sounds with the text. I can hear the connection when I am looking at the book, but then I sometimes lose it when I am not looking at the text. It's interesting. I can look at the text and hear the sounds. Then I immediately replay and can't hear the sounds, then I immediately replay looking at the text and I can hear them again. I can repeat this pattern over and over. I did with a few lines that were particularly tricky. After about 20 times, I start to hear the sounds without the text, but it takes that long.

Then I get frustrated and I wonder if these micro steps will pay off. I hope so. Still it reminds me of the subtitles on a backwards stretch of Stairway to Heaven. In my case--unlike the backwards Stairway to Heaven, I know that the sounds and text really do match up. Still I sometimes feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

“If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now, it’s just a spring clean for the May Queen. Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there’s still time to change the road your on."

"Oh’s here’s to my sweet Satan, The one who’s path would make me sad, who’s power is Satan, He’ll give those with him 666, there was a little tool shed where he made us suffer sad Satan."

No comments: