Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Minor Problem

We decided to cap off the night with a drink and internet access via my laptop at a cafe in the plaza called Le Riche. We went and ordered a couple of drinks--I got a medium Amstel for 4,10 ($6.00) and Elena got a mulled wine. Then we got the password for the internet. Well, the password is 54321 on the keys across the top of the keyboard. It didn't work. They reset the router and watched me type it in. Nothing worked. I tried a bad password and it had the same effect. Then I remembered what the girl at the other internet cafe told us about typing in our codeword. She told us to use the keypad to enter the numbers. We did and it worked. My hypothesis right now is that when you press the keys that are the 54321 key, the American keboard produces 54321, but a French keyboard produces something different. The French keyboard is quite different, after all. The 'm' is by the 'l', and 'q' and 'a' are swapped, the '.' is shifted. It's very difficult to use. Elena was excited to use a North American keyboard. But no such luck. We tried everything. Tomorrow, I'll look at the French keyboard and see what the characters are for them. Maybe I'll have to buy a USB French keyboard. Somehow, I'l get it figured out. There is another place called Les Trois Graces which has WiFi, so we will try that as well. Hopefully their password isn't something that depends on the vicissitudes and whims of the keyboard layout designers. Oh well--back to CSI: Maimi in French (Les Experts: Miami).

No comments: