Monday, March 31, 2008

Finding Resources in Montpellier

When we got here. We knew nothing about Montpellier. As I've mentioned in an earlier post, the reason we chose Montpellier was because it was recommended by a guy named Charlie I met in the laundry room of my Seattle apartment building on my last day living in Seattle.

So when we got here, we didn't know how to start integrating into Montpellier life. We found the tourist information center. But it is not so helpful to start a life (albeit a short one) in Montpellier. It's good for tourists.

Well over time, we started to find more and more. The word "d'occasion" which means 'used' got us to kijiji.fr which we have used a bit but not really to much success. The internet found a club called Evasions, which we joined and looks really good.

Then in Lodeve, I found a magazine called 'Blablablah' which serves the English speaking community in the area. Through them we found that there is an English library very close to where Elena and I started jogging. There is also a French American Center near the Medical school--also not a far walk from our place. We will check those places out today.

We also tried an "Irish" pub called Fitzpatrick's but it wasn't really our kind of place. Most of the crowd there was into a football (a.k.a. soccer) game.

There is a pub called Shakespeare's which I'll have to check out since they have a happy hour where the beer dips just into the price range that I'd call "not horribly unreasonable". They also have a quiz night. I don't know if the questions are English or French.

Finally, just up the street from us at the corner of Gambetta and Clemenceau is a cafe called Le Dome and they have a sort of multi-lingual thing on Tuesday nights. So Elena and I will go there then and have a pint of beer and see what it is.

No comments: