Monday, March 24, 2008

Cheap Wines From The Local Grocers

Now that we are in France, we'll be drinking some wine. So this is a blog I'll update as I drink new bottles of wine.

Art de Vivre: Chardonnay, Vin du Pays d'Oc 2007
The INNO store has a bunch of varietals of Art de Vivre for about 3 euros. This chard was tasty. I'd buy it again.

Le P'tit Caboulot: vin blanc sec, vin de table d'espange no-vintage
Not bad, but not good. But you can't beat the price of 1,05 euros at INNO.

Daquet de Berticot: sauvingon, Cotes de Duras 2006
Again, about a 3 euro wine. Yummy!

The following two were bought at Intermarche on rue George Clemenceau.
Selection Jean d'Almdu, Cuvee du Patron, vin du table de France, red
Selection Jean d'Almdu, Cuvee du Patron, vin du table de France, white
Each were right around 3 euros. The red was OK, but I didn't like the white. One of these days I'll get another bottle of the white and a bottle of the 1 euro P'tit Caboulet and compare them, but right now, I think the 1 euro is the better.

Les Petit Caves, Bordeaux, appellation bordeaux controlee
Not bad at all for only about 2,03 euros! Definintely a rebuy at that price. Got it at Marche Plus on rue George Clemenceau where this wine was half our bill when we got the wine, 4 potatoes, 2 carrots, a head of lettuce, and a tomato.

Castelmaure, Corbieres, Appellation Corbieres Controlee, red, 2006
Exactly 2,00 euros at Intermarche and very nice. Definitely a wine to buy again. Why can't I find $3 wine like this in the USA? :-(

Le Chemin Occitan, Corbieres, Appellation Corbieres Controlee, red, 2006
Around 2,70 euros at Intermarche, I think. I didn't like it by itself but it did taste good once we were eating. So I'd say it's a wine best drunk with food. In fact the bottle recommends it with either raw ham or rabbit with mustard. Intermarche has rabbit, so maybe I'll give it a try.

No comments: