Friday, March 21, 2008

Apartment Is Secured

We got our place. There was an additional 100 euro per person registration fee that we weren't aware of. But C'est la vie. Elena also saw an ad for an apartment in the lobby of the Clemeceau. So now she was totally in 'second guessing' mode. But we signed the contract and paid the registration fee and deposit. So on Saturday morning, we'll move in and that'll be our home for the remainder or our stay in Montpellier. 340A and 340B in the Clemenceau at 1, rue Bourrely, 34000 Montpellier, France. So we will live like students for a couple of months. Hooray! Je suis encore un etudiante. We can live a pretty inexpensive lifestyle, I think. But, we'll see. Hopefully, we'll start meeting people and doing stuff and that can get a little pricey if they all go out to drink.

When we got back I went out and bought La route (The Road) by Cormac McCarthy. My credit card didn't work, so I'm a bit worried about that, but I'll try it somewhere else again tomorrow. I sat at the place just under our room called Le Carre and had a coffee and read La route, underlining all the words I don't know.

Tonight, for only 10,21 euros, we got chicken, 4 chocolate flavored yogurts, a 3 euro bottle of wine (Elena vetoed the 1 euro wine), and some pasta sauce.

So, now the pressure is off, and we can relax. We'll soon move in to our new place, and then we can start actually exploring the city. By the time I move back to Seattle, I'm going to be Seattle's foremost expert on the city of Montpellier. ;-)

But I intend to share my expertise with the readers and googlers in my humble blog. Now that we are a bit more secure in our futures, I'll cut back on the minute-by-minute blow-by-blow accounts, and try to make my blog a bit more thematic. The fact is that there are almost no accounts that I could find about the minutae and the mundane problems that people have when they travel in the manner we are traveling (living for a 2-3 month term in one place). They tend to drop those problems into the background once they find a solution and don't record them on the internet for future travelers. I'm hoping that some of my descriptions are googled and that people who are crazy enough to try to do what Elena and I are doing can see some of the practical steps and options.

And anyone interested in visiting or living in Montpellier should also find a lot of information in my blog. And I am looking forward to exploring all of Montpellier and the beaches nearby.

No comments: