Monday, February 25, 2008

Last Weekend In Vancouver--Sin City

This post is being done over time. Be forewarned: parental guidance is suggested. Nothing bad here, but I can imagine some people may not want to explain to small girls what Uncle Mark is up to. ;-) It's just a night club we're going to with a theme party. Nothing too bad goes on, in my opinion, but Brent Bozell wouldn't like to see what's going on--or at least he would be filled with self-righteous indignation.

Well, it's my last weekend in Vancouver. Next Friday, we are off to the good (c)old Midwest. So how am I spending my last weekend in the city? Well, at Sin City.

Here I am wearing my neckwear:
Photobucket

And to give me an extra boost of confidence, here are my shoes:
Photobucket

They add about 6" to my height which is good because I'm only 5'6". Actually I never knew that 5'6" is short until I tried match.com and found that even women who are 5'2" want men who are 5'9" or up. Well, tonight I'll be 6' tall. :)

-------------------

3am Feb 24. OK I just got back. It's 3:09am. Here is Sin City at 23 West Cordova. First, my feet hurt like the dickens. I don't know how women put up with shoes that are so uncomfortable. However, that said, I think the reason I enjoyed tonight so much is that my shoes made me tall. I experienced something I hitherto had not experienced. As I walked around the club, I looked into the eyes of all the women I could. And unlike the usual case where they mostly ignore me, they smiled. In number way out of proportion to usual. It might have been my red feather boa and spiky neck thing, but I don't think so. I think it just purely and simply the height. Nothing more than the fact that I was 6 feet tall in my shoes. It was magical. Basically, I look at a woman and she smiled. Every time.

Let me give a general description of the place. First, keep in mind that it's 3:17 and I still have a few shots of JD in me. There are 2 dance floors. The main one played typical dance music including the one song I can't stand (that You Want A Piece Of Me song). Downstairs there is a smaller crowd dancing to more Techno I guess. Upstairs there is a lounge with several places to sit. And there is a dungeon where people can borrow cat-o-nine-tails, etc and do their thing with a partner or two. The theme is fetish. Most people had something interesting on. There were about 3 people who had something on that seemed outside the theme of the night. Oh well. They got in by some means. About 10% of the women were completely topless. Another 15% had either pasties or an electrical tape 'x' over their nipples.

I went with 4 other people and I was the only one to make it to midnight. I stayed 2 hours after that. My outfit was hot, so I had to go out and hang with the smokers every so often. I put the smokers' balcony on my circuit as I walked around smiling at the women.

-------------------

6pm Feb 25. What does this have to do with traveling? Well I'm doing something in a foreign place (Vancouver), doing something I don't normally do, and I'm observing human nature which is my ultimate reason for wanting to go to the places I'm going.

The other travel related issue is a sort of comparative cultural aspect. Elena has been warned by various travelers about how men in other countries tend to harass women--even touching them against their will. This thought doesn't sit well with her. She doesn't want such unwanted attention when she's traveling. The funny thing is that cultures like that can never have a party like this. The rules at the party are strict. No unwanted touching. No photography. No harassment. And there was none. At all. I didn't see any attempts by anyone to touch anyone without explicit permission. Everyone who goes there respected both the rules and the other participants. Period. I read an interview in French of Pervez Musharraff talking about rules. He pointed out that in France you can paint a yellow line and tell people not to cross it. But in Pakistan, you build and wall and then count the number of people trying to climb over it. It's sort of sad. Societies work so much better when people respect the limits.

Anyway, that was the highlight of my last weekend in Vancouver.

No comments: