Monday, December 17, 2007

Total Reclaim

Although many people in my apartment building furtively place their unwanted large trash in a common area by the parking garage pretending to think that maybe someone will want it, the reality is that the only proper thing to do with worthless junk is to throw it away. And when the worthless junk is electronic equipment, you can't just pop it into the dumpster. Sadly, our building manager has to deal with all this unwanted trash. I decided not to do this to her during my move out.

So I took 2 old monitors, my old 90MHz Pentium, an old TV, and a no longer working stereo down to Total Reclaim near the Port of Seattle. $43.70 later, my junk is gone and my conscience is clean.

It was fun to see the operation. Conveyor belts of old monitors going up to a disassembly area, fork lift carrying around pallets of computer cases, the industrial sounds, the factory smells, the grime, the dirt. It was nostalgic in a way. It's been a while since I worked in such a setting. Watching the counter woman drag the TV by the cord over to the scale was amusing. It is now trash, after all, no point in treating with care. I realized I had forgotten to take an old printer, so I'll make another trip with that and some other "misc electronic equipment" at $.35 per pound.

No comments: