Monday, December 3, 2007

A New Method To Study French

Yes, I have a new way to practice my French. I bought a little notebook and I write into it anything and everything that comes to my mind--in French. This forces me to learn and reinforce my vocabulary in those areas where I would naturally converse. For example, I was sitting in one of the local pubs last night and I wrote "J’aime à venir ici car les serviteuses sont très jolies." I don't know if the grammar and word choice are as correct as the content. Writing it was slow. I had to look up waitress and that took as much time as it took to write the rest of the sentence. I probably should have looked up ici because I think it might have an accent mark on one of the 'i's.

So when all was said and done, I wrote 5 pages of French. Bad French, to be sure, but it got my mind functioning. It forced me to think in ways I'll have to think when I'm in France. And I learned a few new and important words like 'serviteuse'.

No comments: