Saturday, May 3, 2008

Two More Pictures: Saint Anne's Church & Book-in-Bar

I offer up two more watercolors.

First is a statue at Saint Anne church. The church is in an area too crowded to actually see the whole church from a distance. So I had to pick a part to draw. I chose this angel on a platform being held up on the shoulders of a guy sort of wedged in there. It was fun to draw him because his position was hard to capture. He looked better in monochrome than after I applied the color, though. While I was capturing the scene, several tourists came, saw, clicked, left, and finally scratched Saint Anne from their list of places to visit. Meanwhile, I sat there trying to figure out how to draw the little guy holding up the angel. Thankfully I knew how to do it because my figure drawing instructor is Seattle, Tamara Codor, showed us how to draw extremely foreshortened body parts. I'm really happy I took a bunch of her classes because without them, there is no way I could have ever had the confidence to try to capture statues of people.

Photobucket

The second scene is a well in the basement of Book-in-Bar which has been converted into a display case for books on sale. Elena and I arrived early for their language exchange event because we were downtown anyway and didn't want to go back home. So Elena read a little while I sketched the well. The buildings in this district are all really old, so they all have features that were created at a time when our needs were different. It is interesting to see how the modern businesses that occupy these old buildings adapt these features.

Photobucket

I did the sketches yesterday. Today I filled in the paint and then I went to the Shakespeare Pub to pencil in the lines over a 3 euro John Bull Classic.

No comments: