Friday, May 23, 2008

OVS Freezes on the Comedie

I just got back from a cool OVS event. About 150 of us OVSians met at 7pm at the Pavilion Populaire near the Montpellier Tourist Information Office. We then strung ourselves out and walked toward the Polygone which is the mall in downtown Montpellier. Then about at 7:15, all 150 of us froze. Stopped cold in whatever position we were in at the time. We remained frozen for about 3 minutes.

I had noticed a musician and dug out a couple of coins to give him when I froze. So there I was with 2 50 cent coins in my left hand, and my right hand in the pocket putting the money back--frozen for 3 minutes. I wish I had 3 more seconds to actually be in the act of dropping the coins into his hat. Oh well. Two women came by and figured what I was up to, so they took a picture of me. There were a few people with cameras taking video. It's kind of cool because the people who weren't in on it had various reactions. Some stopped and watched. Some just went on their ways. One English speaking person on a cell phone told the person at the other end that there was a flash mob. It was fun to see them wandering around all us frozen people.

I broke character once--cracked a smile for a second. But other than that, I stayed still the whole 3 minutes of whatever it was. And when it was over, I did in fact drop the coins into the hat of the musician.

I'll post You-Tube video if I find it. The OVS link to the event is: http://montpellier.onvasortir.com/sortie_read.php?Id=16919

Hopefully it will bring some more publicity to OVS because OVS is the best events organization I've ever been a part of. The software is excellent (I recently bumped up to a gold star and Elena to a platinum star, btw). And it's nice that an event like this can bring out 150 people on a Friday evening.

Edit: Some YouTube


2 comments:

Jeff & Barb said...

Hi Mark & Elena:

I assume the 3 minutes was to honor the Chinese that lost their life, children, and homes in the recent earthquake.

We were in Chengdu last October and could see how hard the Chinese work. They are wonderful people and seem to be happy, even though they have few possessions. The earthquake really dealt them a horrible situation.

Thanks for remembering them.

jeff and barb

Mark said...

Errr... No it wasn't to honor anybody. It was just a performance art flash mob type thing.