Wednesday, May 7, 2008

OVS Withdrawal Symptom

Ughh!!! Elena and I are addicted to the OnVaSortir.com website, but we can't get to it anymore. Other people we know can and do, but our building is unable to get to it. Everyone we've asked other than our receptionist of our building has no problem at all.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I wish I understood the guts of the internet a bit better. Anyway, here's what's happens. When we type http://montpellier.onvasortir.com into Firefox, Firefox first has to a DNS lookup. That fails. I used nslookup.exe and WireShark.exe (aka Ethereal) to see if I could see what goes on. As nslookup of a working site such as google.com works correctly--it immediately returns the nameserver of the domain. But an nslookup of onvasortir.com timeout after 2 seconds. Our dns1.completel.fr name server can't find the IP of the onvasortir.com nameserver. Damn you, dns1.completel.fr nameserver! Damn you to hell! It also times out on sivit.org, sivit.fr, and juridiconline.com which I found when trying to see if I could find anyone else with this problem on google. It was juriduconline.com because apparently, right after onvasortir.com was made, a cybersquatter registered the .org and .fr versions and the real OVS people were looking for (or giving?) legal advice.

I went to whois to get some more information on onvasortir.com. They use a company called sivit.org for one of their nameservers. Well, it turns out that I can't get to sivit.org either--same problem--can't get the DNS lookup to work. whois also lists the IP of sivit.org and onvasortir.com. I tried to ping those. In all cases, the pings to the nameservers and http servers didn't work. Other people can get to these servers, so I don't know why can't--broken link close to our building, I guess.

We had OVS up briefly yesterday or the day before when I was running WireShark, so I did see a TCP request being answered by the OVS server, but the HTTP GET just died on the wire. So my packets were flowing to some port, but nothing on port 80. We have since restarted the computer, though, so we no longer have DNS information cached, I guess.

A few minutes ago, I sent an email to the support people for our building alliancetelecom.fr, but nothing so far.

So this post is a withdrawal symptom as my addiction to onvasortir.com is not being met.

No comments: