Monday, October 6, 2008

My Final And Oddest Day In Bobo-Dioulasso

It's Monday evening and I had an interesting day here in Bobo. It started when I left the hotel. Two people tried to tell me I owed CFA 650 (US$1.30) for a beer I drank yesterday. I had a beer but I paid for it--first by trying to pay with a CFA 2000 note and then with coins when he didn't have change--I think. Anyway, I headed out and went to the internet cafe for a couple hours of surfing and then to the Restaurant Dan Kan for lunch. The Dan Kan was good, but I now know to avoid the seats near the outside edge because the beggars stop by and ask for money. The inner part along the wall on the outside or the interior where they have a bar (sans beer) is better.

Since it's a month to the election and my parents haven't received my absentee ballot, I sent in the provisional federal election ballot. Each state treats this ballot differently for state races so hopefully Washington is a state that lets you fill in the governor's slot. I voted for Obama, McDermott, and Christine Gregoire. I don't know if my original application for an absentee ballot even made it, and if so, if this provisional ballot with make it, but I've done my best to cast my votes. And speaking of the election, I got a reply from Seretta--a Peace Corps volunteer in Niger and it looks good to meet her as well as other Americans in Niamey to watch the election returns.

I returned to my hotel and they were still talking about the CFA 650 for the beer. I was sure I paid, but not 100% sure--I don't have an absolute 100% clear memory of handing money over, but I have a memory of fiddling with change and giving it to the guy and thinking I was settled up while I drank it. Anyway, I decided to just pay it. It's only a $1.30. And having been in Africa this long, I know when I'm being played and they weren't playing me. The staff at the Cocotier is not dishonest. They clean my room and my iPod, Swiss Army knife, etc. are still there laying about. They charged me CFA 200 (US$0.40) for cleaning 2 shirts and CFA 500 (US$1) for a shirt and 5 pairs of underwear. These guys just don't rip off white people. Either I am wrong or the guy who gave me the beer is wrong. Whichever one of us it is--it is an honest memory slip.

I had a few beers on the terrace. A trio of French people came--two parents in their 50's and a pretty daughter in her late 20's or early 30's. She was facing away from me and her mother was facing me. The mother probably knew what was on my mind every time I looked over at the daughter.

Soon it was dinner time. I wanted pizza. The Entente pizza is better than the l'Auberge pizza so I went there. I tried to get egg rolls but since it's not tourist season, I usually order by asking "avez vous les nems, ajoud'hui?" And any time I use the "avez vous...?" question with something a little exotic, the answer is invariably "non". So I got the salad composée. The pizza was good.
A guy I met 2 nights ago, Buba from Bobo, came in. He pulled out a US$5 bill and a 50p British coin. He wanted CFA for them because he needed to eat, he said. He asked how much they were worth. I told him the US$5 was CFA 2500 and the 50p coin was worth CFA 500. He asked for CFA 2000 (US$4) for the US$5 bill. I told him he should be able to get a better deal elsewhere. The Entente staff had come over in the meantime and were watching over the whole scene. They seemed to not trust this guy. In the end, made no exchanges--that's not my business. I don't think anyone counterfeits US$5 bills, but who knows.

So I was sitting there having my pizza and reading La Route/The Road when these two people came in and sat at the table next to me. One guy was white in his 50's with long grey hair and who looked like a totally burned out rock musician. The other was a black teenager who I'm 70% certain was male. They had some drinks. The white guy was barely conscious--on drugs? They were there about an hour and left.

Then when I was getting ready to leave, two local guys came in and sat with me. I think one was a merchant who tried to get me to buy some stuff yesterday (his wares included bronze figurines in sexual positions--like I need bronzes mocking me with "we're doing this and you're not"). We chatted about my trip and then they asked for a beer. I figure I could buy them a $1.30 large beer. We ordered it. It didn't come. I was ready to leave and asked where the beer was. They said that it would come after they ate. But I doubt they would eat there. Whatever. I wished them a bon appetite and headed out. The restaurant staff didn't come over and watch over us, so I figured they are known to be safe. And my hotel is just a block away so I can make it there in a dead run if they start to follow me in a scary way. But, that didn't happen. I made it back safe and sound.

October 6, 2008 22:36 Burkina local time

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I'm still waiting on my absentee ballot. Since Washington is a 'no-excuse' needed state, I'm taking advantage of the ability to vote early and by mail.

I'm voting for Obama because I actually like what he has to say. Not all of it, but he paints a picture of what I would like to believe America can be. McDermott because he voted against repealing the Posse Comitatus Act when he was in the vast minority, and the bailout bill (although he was for it before he was against it, I forgive him). For Gregoire because Rossi is a social conservative. I don't think Gregoire has done Washington any great service, so this is a vote against Rossi rather than for Gregoire.