Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bobo Dioulasso To Ouagadougou

I checked and and headed up to the STMB bus station where I got the ticket for Ouaghadougou 2 days ago. The AC bus costs CFA 7000 (US$14). Not bad. I checked in, they charged my CFA 1000 (US$2) for baggage and I waited in an airconditioned waiting room. Nice. At 9:50, we boarded. It's assigned seats--I had seat 6. I wasn't sure which seat was seat 6, but I got the driver side window seat just behind the driver. It's on the better side of the bus for sun. At a little after 10, we were off.

The trip was nice. AC the whole way so it was comfortable. It was fast, though I driver made a few passes that I wouldn't have advised. He used the horn a lot. The road between Bobo and Ouaga is pretty narrow. Motorcycles got pushed off the road by the horn. Another 3 meters would be nice, but Burkina Faso might not be rich enough to afford it.

There were some police checkpoints, but no police came on board like on the way from Mali. We stopped for lunch and the Africans all got greasy meat wrapped in brown paper. They eat that here. And they get greasy fingers. I got cookies.

The trip was short--we pulled into the station in Ouaga at about 2:30. My hotel, the Vert Pavillon is close to the STMB station, so I brushed off the taxi drivers and walked. I got the cheapest room and went to the Tapasbar near the STMB station.

There I has a Bulgarian salad (cucumber, onion, yogurt, and paprika) and pork curry. It was good, but the flies were swarming too much. That wasn't nice. I killed a bunch and gave them to the ants down below. The meal with beer was CFA 4900 (US$9.80).

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 18:15 Burkina Faso local time

No comments: