Monday, December 1, 2008

Sunday In Douala: A Day With No Plans--Do You Really Want To Read The Excruciating Details?

I got up on Sunday and headed out about 8am. After a nice breakfast with a coffee, orange juice, pain aux raisins, and chausson aux pommes, I decided to see what is on Avenue Charles de Gaulle. I had to get by a traffic circle with some people filming a music video but I think I managed to stay off their shot. Avenue Charles de Gaulle has a lot of stuff. There's a Chinese restaurant, a nice looking French restaurant, and other cafes and things. It was Sunday morning, though, so not much was open.

I returned to the hotel at about 11 am and there was no water or power. Well, I guess I better go out again where there is AC and refreshment. I went to a new place and had an ice cold beer. I was reading Veronika Décide de Mourir, watched some goofy French movie on their big screen TV and watched as a restaurant across the street. One waitress was standing in the door way and even from across the street I could see her body was in the Shakira/Beyoncé league. I finished up my beer and went across the street. The hottie was my waitress. I ordered another beer and an entrée and a plat.

She asked me what I do in Douala. I told her I'm just a tourist. She asked how long I'd be in Douala. I said not too long, that I fly out on the 12th and want to go see Yaoundé (the capital), Limbe (a seaside resort), and maybe some other places. Then she offered to come to Limbe with me. Did I hear right? Did a pretty waitress with the body of Beyoncé just offer to spend the night with me in the Cameroonian sea side resort? Apparently so. We made arrangement to meet at my room when she gets off at 5pm. I went back and prepared my room a bit and waited. Would there be a knock at the door?

There was. I let her in. We talked for a while--mostly in French. Yadda, yadda, yadda. We went out for dinner. She was pretty hungry and we went to an all you can eat buffet. I had already eaten at her restaurant, so she took my portion and we wrapped it up for her to take to her mother. Then we got into a taxi. I went to my hotel and she headed to her home.
I got my journal and pen and went down to the bar to ponder my evening. I'm single--I deserve a sweet little fling now and then. They are very few and very far between for me--especially ones who look like Beyoncé. It didn't even take 2 months since my 40th birthday. An excellent start for my next decade.

Monday, December 1, 2008 7:57 Cameroon local time

4 comments:

Craig said...

Nice work! I look forward to see how this plays out. I hope your fancy new haircut doesn't scare her :)

Ken Slight said...

It took 40 years but finally a good decision! -- OK, not really. Keep in mind once you return to the English-speaking world, that things will return to normal ;) Did she possibly say in French "Obama won, the world's going to Hell, why not give it a shot?" Could this be the real reason you were rooting for him?

Cathy said...

This story is way better than the malaria pills!

Hey, you said in your first paragraph that there was some kind of music video going on. So was this actually Beyonce?? Man, I want to read the unedited version in your diary!

Mark said...

Hmmmm... Now I know what my reading audience really wants: sex and titilation. ;-) I also know I can't throw them off the scent with a boring sounding title. ;-)

Fortunately, I have enough material to get a few good posts out of her. A nice little diversion from the usual customs and immigration procedures.